Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

A Scary Place To Write From

I asked a friend for writing advise concerning blogging and finding my writing voice.  I wasn't certain what voice is.  This is the definition from our conversation that I came up with. Voice takes the inside me to the outside for you to know.  This is the absolutely scary piece about writing.

Scary writing evokes emotions of fear, ridicule, doubt and worry among others.  Scary writing says, "Be vulnerable, unreserved, unguarded."  Yikes...That is not me.  I am not as up tight, reserved and guarded as I was years ago.  But change is long and tangled, as it may be for you.

My friend suggests that I write as if I am having coffee with you, relating to you across the page as if you were real.  Real people, real issues, real joys...who I. don't. know.  Scary.  Because if I was with you real time, right now, I may be trying too hard to impress, losing my thoughts, interrupting you and making a general mess of our coffee time.  Ugh!

The truth is that I share many coffee dates with good friends and they keep coming back for more.  The truth is that writing from this vulnerable place may be scary, yet I genuinely love people and want to get to know and share life with you.

What places of creativity are you coming from that scare you?  Or maybe you are an artist that is secure in your creative expression.  If you are, I would love for you to share in the comments how you came to overcome fear.  Or just share...anything. Don't be afraid.

My God is fearless ~ Nancy B


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you comment on this story? I promise to read every word and respond! Thanks from the bottom of my heart.