Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2022

Writing Prompt

     Sometimes I’m without a clue about what to write. I live an active life that provides many stories, right? This past week, the words stuck inside my head.

I bought an intriguing book titled “300 Writing Prompts” months ago. Answering the first prompt challenges me. 

“Have you ever spoken up when you saw something going on that was wrong? Were you scared? What ended up happening?” 

     

 I intervened in my children’s fights when they grew up at home. No problem. Keeping one kid from killing another is a standard parental expectation. I don’t speak up in public situations with strangers because confrontations are risky in these times of polarized opinions. You never know if someone is gonna pull out a gun. But the conflict at my former workplace that came to mind is different.

Max, a new laborer, shows up at the park most mornings smelling of booze. I was his co-worker, not his boss, and avoided involvement with Max’s drunkenness. I hear a chainsaw start outside our office window and, with horror, watch as my drunk co-worker wields a chainsaw—several large trees near our office building are scheduled for removal. Will he drop a tree on someone, the office building, or injure himself? 

Steve, his crew boss, knows he drinks before work; nevertheless, he stands by Max to assist, as required in park protocol. I see no sign that Steve tries to stop Max’s use of the chainsaw. I can’t turn a blind eye to the potential hazards.

Nervously, I call the park manager. 

“Ben? This is Nancy at the office. I know you are working at the west seventy, but you should know about Max.”

“What about him?” Ben shouts into his radio as the transmission threatens to break up.

“He checked into work this morning smelling like alcohol. Is he scheduled to take down trees by the office?”

“Oh no! Isn’t Steve stopping him?”

“I don’t think so. Steve is standing by as he works the chainsaw.” Ben could hear the chainsaw in the background.

“I’ll be right there.” 

I sigh with relief as the chainsaw stops, then startle when Steve slams open the door to the office, making a beeline to radio Ben. I overheard Steve say to Ben, “I told Max to stop, and he would not listen again.” 

When Ben arrives at the office, they take Max to the maintenance shop for a private conversation. I learn later that Ben fires Max. He received several warnings about drinking on the job. Even though I didn’t have all the facts, I took appropriate action. Thank the Lord that no one was injured.

I confessed to Steve that I thought he allowed Max to do something risky, which is why I panicked and called Ben. 

“You know me better than that, Nancy. Safety first around machinery, right?” he grinned and thanked me for having his back. 

 Even Ben, who rarely gives compliments, thanks me for the radio call. 

And I didn’t assume that my older child instigates arguments with the younger sibling. Sometimes the “baby” provokes their older siblings and gets more than they expect. Having all the facts is necessary before intervening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you comment on this story? I promise to read every word and respond! Thanks from the bottom of my heart.